It’s that time of year again where we’re all plucking up the courage to slip into our skimpies, but summer can be a hard time for the skin. This week we’ve been putting five of the most popular natural oils through their paces, so that you can find the best to make your skin sparkle this summer.
There’s hardly a cosmetic on the shelves of any beauty outlet – natural or otherwise – which doesn’t contain Jojoba these days. Produced from the seed of an indigenous American shrub, Simmondsia Chinensis, Jojoba oil closely resembles the oil naturally found in human skin. Consequently, it nourishes beautifully without clogging the pores.
Why we love Jojoba oil:
- Because of its similarity to human sebum, Jojoba provides intense hydration for the skin and hair
- Thanks to its antibacterial properties, Jojoba is excellent at reducing skin inflammation
- Jojoba is the ultimate multi-tasker; it performs equally well removing make-up, as it does treating cracked heals or preventing stretchmarks.
NMFY test results: 5/5
Loved it! Great moisturiser for the warm weather. My skin was left feeling moisturised without feeling oily. Works very well applying to skin straight after a shower and gently towelling dry (if you are patient enough – air dry is the best). Passed the leg test with flying colours! (Leg test – bottom half of my legs are prone to dryness!)
Originally used as a cooking oil, grapeseed oil is exactly what you think it is: an oil created by crushing the seeds of grapes. It is rich in antioxidants and non-comedogenic (it doesn’t clog the pores), so it hydrates without making the skin oily or enflamed. Although now synonymous with France and grown the world over, the first grapes came from North America.
Why we love Grapeseed oil:
- Grapeseed oil contains linoleic acid. which strengthens skin cell membranes and helps to prevent acne
- The astringent properties of grapeseed oil make it a natural toner
- Rich in antioxidants, grapeseed oil naturally protects the skin against free radicals, reducing environmental ageing
NMFY test results:2/5
Did not hydrate my skin as well as the others. Very light oil but did not absorb as quickly and left my skin feeling oily. Failed the leg test! Dried out very quickly, had to re-apply several times throughout the day. Would need to be blended with other oils to be effective.
A relative newcomer to the commercial beauty scene, Argan oil has been used by the women of Morocco for centuries, serving as equal parts beauty product, food and cure-all. Growing only in Morocco, the oil produced by the Argan nut is jam-packed with just about every nutrient under the sun, yet is free from saturated fats, making it an all-round goodie.
Why we love Argan Oil:
- Packed with vitamins A and E, antioxidants, Omega-6 fatty acids, Omega-3 fatty acids, and linoleic acid, Argan oil helps to renew skin cells while protecting the existing ones against damage, and reduces inflammation
- Argan oil is deeply nourishing without being greasy, so it works wonders on both skin and hair, without leaving a nasty residue
- Profits from the Argan oil industry have been invested in reforestation, ensuring that the supply continues without negatively impacting on the environment
NMFY test results: 4.5/5
Loved the feel of this oil. It has the thickness of a light moisturiser and absorbs quickly into the skin with no greasy residue. Passed the leg test, kept my skin hydrated (especially the bottom half of my legs!) No need to constantly reapply. Why not 5? The very light nutty scent!!
Another one which began life as a foodstuff, Avocado oil is also easily absorbed, making it an excellent skincare ingredient. Native to Mexico and widely used as a ‘carrier oil’ for essential oils, Avocado is favoured for its scent-free, non-greasy properties.
Why we love Avocado oil:
- Avocado oil naturally shields skin from UV rays, helping to protect the skin without a thick, chemical-filled sunblock
- With natural anti-inflammatory properties, Avocado oil gently soothes skin irritation
- Avocado oil provides deep hydration without leaving grease on the skin
NMFY test results: 4/5
Light oil, sinks easily into the skin. My skin stayed hydrated throughout the day. Passed the leg test. Efficient natural oil for the summer.
Greece may have claimed the olive as its own, but this strange little fruit is thought to have originated in tropical Africa. Now loved as a cookery ingredient, it has been used for skincare for centuries for no other reason than that it delivers beautiful results.
Why we love Olive oil:
- Olive oil contains three major antioxidants: vitamin E, polyphenols, and phytosterols, helping to naturally protect the skin against environmental ageing factors
- Olive oil deeply penetrates the skin , so you’re not just hydrating the top layer
- If you’re looking for a substitute for chemical shaving creams and gels, Olive oil allows for an incredibly close shave (for both men and women) while protecting against irritation
NMFY test results: 4/5
Skin hydrated, passed the leg test– almost as good as Argan oil. However Argan oil has a wonderful ‘thick’ texture to it which means it glides on the body. Too much Olive oil can leave your skin feeling very greasy. Use liberally.
While every person’s skin is different, it all needs a bit of TLC from time to time. Naturally Made For You takes that TLC and puts it in a bottle labelled Bath & Body Oil! Lovingly made and beautifully scented (with sweet rose and lavender, or zingy grapefruit and lime), it takes all the best properties of our favourite natural oils and brings them together, naturally, made just for you.